Monday, March 18, 2019

Giant monster movies: A guilty pleasure

I’m Janet Pribanic, and I watch an insane amount of films during my free time. Last year, I went through a phase – giant monster movies. It started when I caught this gem called “Little Shop of Horrors” on television one evening. After that, I started doing research on films that featured giant monsters. I thought it would be a fun ride.


I started with “Aliens” from James Cameron. It was a fast-paced, action-horror adventure that built upon the Ridley Scott classic. “Aliens” also had one of the most bad-ass heroines in all of cinema – Sigourney Weaver’s Ellen Ripley. The alien queen was also a sight to behold.

The most fun giant monster film I’ve seen though, is “Tremors” starring Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward. It’s about a few giant underground worms that started feasting on the residents of a sleepy town in the middle of nowhere.

Then there was “Deep Rising,” which is essentially like “Aliens” but instead of being eaten by an army of humanoid-reptilian hybrids, the humans here were annihilated by a single giant sea creature. Good times.

“Cloverfield” was entertaining, and I highly recommend it to those who still haven’t seen it. It’s a found-footage type of movie about a Godzilla-sized monster that decimates New York City.
Finally, I ended up with the granddaddy of all modern giant monster movies – “Jaws.” It holds up surprisingly well for a film that’s over 40 years old.

What’s your favorite giant monster movie? Tag me, Janet Pribanic, in the comments section below.

Hi, the name’s Janet Pribanic, and I’m pursuing a degree in public relations at NYU. NYC is a home for sports, literature, entertainment, music, fashion, tech, food, and travel, and I like writing about these. For similar reads, visit this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment